Friday, November 29, 2013

cover construction

This is me showing how I made my cover page step by step.
Firstly I opened my image that I wanted to use for my cover in photoshop and I made the image brighter, After I done that I began to edit the photo by getting rid of any blemishes by using the brush tool on a low opacity, By doing this it gives the model a flawless look thats to die for.

secondly I had to chose what colours I wanted to use, and I decided on using pink and purple as it follow common conventions and they are the colours that would appeal most to my audience. I used the rectangle tool and ellipse tool to create boxes of different shapes and angle so I could place the text and images into it, by doing this it looks creative and not boring and it would also appeal to the audience. Then I added a barcode, this is a common convention of a magazine.

I then added my masthead onto the magazine fitting the common convention of having it 1/8th of the page, I put the the 'of the' into a circle so it would appeal to my audience as its not plain and boring. The font that I used for it is curvy and is normally used to represent the age and gender of my audience. Then I added text that would appeal to my target audience and stories that they would find interesting. Then I added the price, date and issue number on the magazine so the readers know the price, date and issue number. 

Then I added text in the small box at the top and between each bit of the text I put a dot so it separates the text and makes it look unique. I put a circular box using the circle tool to make it different from other magazines and to make it different from using rectangles all the time. I used the type of pink for the circle that I have been using throughout the magazine to make it all flow together and fit well. There is a wide variety of font in the text tool with the font that holds most information in a bolder font which the audience would relate to more. And for the text in the circle I used a font which looks like someone has quickly scribbled it in and I used black font which makes it stand out on the page as its the only black font on the page. I used a white font in the purple banner on the lower half of the page and it stands out against the purple and it drags your eyes to it.

I then carried on adding all the Images that I wanted to use onto that page, I edited all the images before I put them onto the page, such as air brushing them and making them brighter. The images on the bottom banner of the page all fit together well as they are all took in the same place with the same colour background and they all have the same pose, which makes it look a bit like the mug shots. to get the picture of just the face, I opened the image up on photoshop and just selected the face using the quick selection tool, and when I had it selected I clicked on the move tool and moved it onto this cover page and placed it where I wanted it. 

I then added the rest of the text to the page, I placed the names of the people on there right photo using the text tool and I decided to choose pink font as it fits well with the rest of the page, and black or white wouldn't stand out against the clothes. After I done that I added text to the images on the left hand side of the page, using the text tool. Next to the image of the head it has pink text and for the last word I used purple font so it stands out more and looks like its aimed at the reader more. For the text for the top image I used a simple font and I decided to use purple for the colour to fit well with the rest of the page and to make all the colours balance more. This is my finished front cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment